The Bear Ranch Land Exchange is a proposed land trade in Gunnison and Delta Counties in Colorado, and Uintah County, Utah. The parties to the exchange will be the Federal Government and Bear Ranch.
Summary of the Bear Ranch Land Exchange:
The National Park Service receives from Bear Ranch:
- Sapinero Mesa, which will be incorporated into Curecanti National Recreation Area.
- Orchid Draw, which will be incorporated into Dinosaur National Monument.
The BLM and Gunnison National Forest receives from Bear Ranch:
- Trail, road, and access enhancements to the Gunnison National Forest that will also provide improved public access to the Raggeds Wilderness Area.
- Trailhead at Buck Creek Ranch.
- Permanent motorized and non-motorized public access from Hwy 133 across Buck Creek Ranch to the Ragged Mountain Trail.
- Land for a trailhead and permanent public recreational access to BLM’s Jumbo Mountain area, near Paonia, and its extensive road and trail network.
- Donations to facilitate construction of 23 miles of the Crested Butte to Carbondale Trail on Kebler Pass Road.
Bear Ranch receives from the BLM and USFS:
- Five isolated parcels of land adjacent to Bear Ranch.
There is little money for important federal land acquisition priorities like Sapinero Mesa and Orchid Draw.